Ph.D., Philosophy of Religion and Theology
Claremont Graduate University, January 2009
Dissertation: Striving before God: Kierkegaard and the Concept of
M.A., English and graduate minor in Philosophy
Brigham Young University, December 1990
Thesis: Symbolic Action and Persuasion in The Book of Mormon
Brigham Young University, April 1985
- 7/12 to Present: Chair, Department of Religious Education, BYU–Hawaii
- 9/09 to Present: Associate Professor, Religious Education, BYU–Hawaii
- 8/02 to 9/09: Assistant Professor, Religious Education, BYU–Hawaii
- Religion 121, Book of Mormon, part 1
- Rel 122 Book of Mormon II
- Rel 121H Honors Book of Mormon I
- Rel 122H Honors Book of Mormon II
- Rel 324 Doctrine and Covenants I
- Rel 324H Honors Doctrine and Covenants I
- Rel 325 Doctrine and Covenants II
- Rel 325H Honors Doctrine and Covenants II
- Rel 351 The World’s Religions and Mormonism
- Rel 390R Methods of Scripture Study
- Rel 390R Islam and the Gospel
- IDS (Interdisciplinary Studies) 309H Mormon Studies
- IDS 317 Religion and Culture
- IDS 390R Respond Aesthetically: Christianity in Film, Art, Music, Literature, and Theology
6/98 to 12/01: Instructor, Church History and Doctrine, BYU
- Islam and the Gospel
- The Gospel and World Religions
- Christian History and the Gospel
- Doctrine and Covenants
- Doctrines of the Gospel
- American Christianity and the Rise of the LDS Church
Kierkegaard and the Concept of Religious Authorship. Religion in Philosophy and Theology, 45. Tübingen, Germany: Mohr Siebeck, 2010.
“Between the Hard Way and the Narrow Gate: On Being a Believer and a Wittgensteinian” Element 1:1 (Spring 2005): 23-30.
“Taking Off Our Shoes: On Seeing the Other Religiously” in Art, Belief. Meaning: The Arts and the Restored Gospel, ed. Herman du Toit and Doris R. Dant, 81-85. Provo, UT: BYU Press, 2003.
“Holding Fast to the Word: A Review of Historicity and the Latter-day Scriptures.” The FARMS Review, Vol. 15, No. 2 (2003): 1-13.
“For Greater Love and Understanding: Three Guides for the Study of Scripture.” FARMS Review of Books: Volume 12, Number 1 (2000): 445-452.
“King Benjamin’s Speech: ‘That Ye May Learn Wisdom.’” FARMS Review of Books: Volume 11, Number 1 (1999): 18-22.
“The Persuasive Book of Mormon.” In Dialogues and Conversations. 2nd ed. Grant Boswell and Gary Hatch, eds. Needham Heights, MA: Simon & Schuster Custom Publishing, 1996. (Text for English 115 at BYU)
“Hope in Christ: The Better World of Grace and Sanctification” Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology, September, 2013, Logan Utah.
“The Beautiful Witness.” Art, Belief, Meaning Symposium, BYU Museum of Art, January, 2011
“The Consecration of our Studies.” University Convocation Address, Brigham Young University-Hawaii, Fall 2010.
“Religious Certainty and Uncertainty in Kierkegaard’s Authorship.” Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology, Annual Meeting, Utah Valley University, March 2010.
“He Inviteth All to Come Unto Him and Partake of His Goodness.” University Devotional, BYU-Hawaii, November 17, 2009.
"A Religious Approach to the Study of Other Religions: Asking the Question of Appropriation.” Society for Mormon Philosophy and Theology, Annual Meeting, Claremont Graduate University, May 2009.
“The Artist as Theologian: Art, Theology and the Challenge of Representing Godliness.” Art, Belief, Meaning Symposium. BYU Museum of Art, November 7, 2008.
“‘I know that he loveth his children’: God’s Work Outside the Covenant.” Presented at the 22nd Annual Religious Lecture Series at BYU-Idaho (February 23, 2008)
“‘If We Say We Have No Sin’: How Recognizing Our Sins Can Lead to Repentance, Grace and Greater Discipleship.” Presented at the Sperry Symposium, Provo, UT Fall 2002.
“Taking Off Our Shoes: On Seeing the Other Religiously” Presented at the Art, Belief, and Meaning Symposium, BYU Museum of Art, December 1, 2000.
Spanish: speaking and reading
HONORS AND AWARDS
Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society
Honored Professor of the Year, BYU–Hawaii Honors Program, 2004
Society of Mormon Philosophy and Theology